Friday, August 13, 2004

Wait. Hang on.

"We should not be breathing a sigh of relief," says the talking head. Yesterday, it was going to be a Category 2 heading into Tampa Bay. Now it's a Category 4 headling into Port Charlotte. Which means it'll still be a 2 over Hillsborough County, maybe.

Bottom line: Nobody really knows. At this point, the radar tracks and satellite photos and guesses by the National Hurricane Center and the guys at Channel 8 mean ... well, nothing. Now we can only wait and see what actually happens.

Here at 27.9/82.2: Nothing, again. No breeze. No rain. Cloud cover. About 87 degrees.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The latest 2 p.m. National Hurricane Center track has it going directly over Orlando at about 10-11 p.m. CFN13 is calling it the "I-4 hurricane."

Now it's our turn to freak out.

-- Huffy

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta love it... good thing I didn't evacuate to my parents house in Orlando... I may actually be safer here in NE Tampa :) BTW, love the running blog, and I can't believe I've been watching Bay News 9 (Tampa Bay Bright House News Channel) for almost seven hours straight... I almost wish the power would go out...

-- Pinky

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we've been watching Channel 8 since about 11 a.m. yesterday, with about an eight-hour break for sleep. I'm rooting for a power outage, too, as long as it only affects my TV.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just drove into work. Since I work at a newspaper, we're (unfortunately for us) expected to get the paper out at all costs. (Aside to RJ: I have quickly made note that all of the managers have abandoned their posts. Virtually all of the people who have reported for duty today are the enlisted rank and file.)

I'm figuring I'll be here for the rest of the night. Roads here in O-Town are almost completely deserted. It's like driving around at 3 a.m. -- just the occasional driver trying to get home.

In my 20 years of living here, I can't remember a storm this big passing over us. It usually veers away or hugs the coast. This is the Big One for me.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home